Death Toll From Cameroon Landslide Rises, Over 40 Confirmed Dead
State media on Tuesday evening reported that at least 42 people have been killed after their houses were swept away in a landslide caused by torrential rain in the western Cameroon city of Bafoussam.
A senior local officer told AFP on the condition of anonymity that searches were ongoing as they feared there were further deaths.
While media reports had earlier spoken of about 30 dead, with 4 pregnant women included as victims, a total of 42 bodies were taken to the hospital in the city, according to an official statement read on CRTV.
It is estimated that at least 120 people live in the neighbourhood which was swept away by the floods.
The landslide which happened at around 21:00 GMT when most people were in their homes, had the government deploy rescue teams and the military at the site to search for more survivors after its occurrence.
The Centralization and Local development minister said the government has released $40,000 to help the local community.
“We present the government’s solidarity with Bafoussam. I think it is useful that, without delay the government support the people here who have lost everything so that they receive the kind of support that help them not to completely restart their lives but to at least deal with the present situation”, said George Elanga Obam, the Minister for Centralization and Local Development said.
The President of Cameroon, Paul Biya offered his condolences to families of the victims in a message broadcast on CRTV.
Comments
Post a Comment